Bad memories or experiences can hold you back and stop you getting what you want in life. Moving on from the past gets much easier when you use this tried and tested NLP technique.
It’s awful when an old experience or bad memory stands in the way of you moving forward or getting where you want to be.
It may be the memory of a certain person or group, a hurtful comment, an uncomfortable feeling you previously felt or a period of your life you would rather forget that just won’t leave you, blocking your growth and keeping you feeling stuck.
How to let go of the past
1. Close your eyes and bring the memory or experience into your mind.
2. Think about where that memory or experience is physically around you. Is it in front of you? In front but slightly to the left or right? Is it swirling around your head?
3. Next, consider the physical size of this memory or experience near you. Whether it is large or small, mentally shrink it right down to the size of a postage stamp (even smaller if you can).
4. Now I would like you to mentally move this shrunken down version of the memory behind you, out of sight. It is now physically out of your way forward and out of your line of vision.
Take a moment to notice how better this feels.
5. Next, move it 10 metres behind you. Pause to feel the powerful effect of the distance you have created. Then move it 100 metres behind you. Feel the effect. Then move it 1, 10, 100 km behind you.
How does that feel? Much better!
How to forget about someone
This quick and simple NLP technique also works if you have unkind or unhelpful people on your mind and in your way. Just follow the steps above, replacing memory/experience with a thought of said person.
Stop brain fog and move forward with confidence
Moving the past behind you reduces brain fog and allows you to move forward with more confidence, knowing that its is no longer blocking you.
Each time the memory pops into your mind and threatens to block you, run through this exercise again. Eventually, the memory will begin to reside in its new position, behind you and out of your way.
If you would like to see how NLP and life coaching can help you, please book for a free 30-minute Coaching Discovery Call with me.
How to Set Goals (free PDF worksheet)